mandag den 14. februar 2011

TO DIANE DE POITIERS.






I find myself in a transitory state of existence. I'm miles away in the restless wintry winding of February which has graced the spirit of the time with her cold winds and flickers of the warmth of the encroaching summer sun. Tis but valentine's day today, ever so ironically. I disperse my fond farewell to you, so fair so rare and so innoncent. You are sorely missed.

Amk

Farewell! since vain is all my care,
Far, in some desert rude,
I'll hide my weakness, my despair:
And, 'midst my solitude,
I'll pray, that, should another move thee,
He may as fondly, truly love thee.
Adieu, bright eyes, that were my heaven!
Adieu, soft cheek, where summer blooms!
Adieu, fair form, earth's pattern given,
Which Love inhabits and illumes!
Your rays have fallen but coldly on me:
One far less fond, perchance, had won ye!


From the French of CLEMENT MAROT.
Translation of LOUISE STUART COSTELLO.

Ingen kommentarer: